it'd be sweet if you could create-new-space from the mobile homepage with the same form (just like the prototype), and then just add new notes on that space you just created with a big-plus-button that creates-a-new-note and lets you type into it and then save.
And a link in the METASPACE
- A space at /user is generated for a created-new-user, the METASPACE.
- In that space a note is generated.
- That note is an exact duplicate of the note created in the new-space. It ought to update when that note is saved. If you click that note, you go to that space.
- This way you see notes that link to all of your spaces and what they are about from your Metaspace.
- Right now the only way you get to your metaspace is to click your username on the top right blue button, so we'll have to make that more exciting and available.
- The metaspace does not have to be a "space", it can be some kind of list if you like... Wufoo does that:
After Create Space
- You are whisked into a new space.
- The space has one note with the TYPE that you had selected as its Title.
- Inside that one note of course is the pound sign. ** The cursor should be flashing AFTER the pound sign.
- The space dimensions are like 12000x40000
- The path is /user/spacename
Write the Spacename in the topbar
Because I have no idea where I am at the moment... I ought to have the spaceman displayed where I can see it and maybe click it to see Space Settings (which is distinct from Create Space)
THEME DROPDOWN not gear/star/arrow
That area should just be a quick way to change the color of the note, because that's the only thing that's in Note Settings anyway. I think THEMES are good enough, i really loved making Tar Heel notes back in the day ;D And whatever your last THEME is, is the THEME your next note will be in, right? So that way we clean up those icons and just have it be a theme dropdown or dialog box (your choice)
ANSWER = TEN THINGS plus one
- Create Space as a new-improved dialog box that pops up onLoad the metanotes.com home page.. Obviously things like "Private?" have to work (right now buggy)
- Note color controls that are better, or maybe just THEMES. Rather than the gear and the star and the curved arrow, let's have that be a THEME DROPDOWN PICKER.
- User summoning, with Time Log notifications.
- Some kind of METASPACE that works.
- We should display the spacename in the top toolbar, right? because other than that it's pretty invisible where you are. Maybe we can make it look like a button... Click it and you open your METASPACE.
- Not a Search... prompt but a Filter... prompt, which highlights with a yellow outline all notes which contain text which matches the string you type here.
- Create account with Facebook and Twitter at least.
- Turn the Search... prompt into a Filter... prompt which outlines in bold yellow all notes which do have content that matches what you type in that field.
- If the new create-space-homepage also works on mobile, then make it possible and easy to add-a-new-note to the newly-created-space from mobile so you can just start creating notes and pasting into them right away...
oh yeah, we need time log back :D
Maybe it's a NEXT GENERATION JOURNAL?
That's the idea, anyway, is that we want our folks to use it daily, right?
Your /user top level directory grows faster this way.
It's good to have top level spaces, that is, spaces right under your /user directory. You'll create subspaces (e.g. "tangents") from inside them, later.
Creating a LOT of spaces.
I don't mind creating a LOT of spaces... like whenever I have an itch to create one, I create one.
Revised the Create Space prototype
Here it is: https://stoxplan.wufoo.com/forms/create-space/
Or maybe a HELP NOTE for brand-new users
Or a HELP menu option in the blue-user-menu
so we can at least tell folks about apple-minus as being a good way to customize your experience.
The Home Page = Create Space
It took me like five minutes to create this space.
I had to think about "where should this space be placed in my ontology" etc. Then I had to surf here. There were a lot of spaces I went through that took too long to load, like /spex. So I had to wait, then drill down here, then wait...
In the future, I would have just come to metanotes.com and created a new space there.
Certainly this would mean I would accumulate my new spaces more or less on the top level of my /user directory. This is not that big a deal to me, however when we have a METASPACE again, maybe you can drag and drop spaces into other spaces to make them subspaces after the fact.
The point is that I ought to go to metanotes.com to create a new space every time the inspiration strikes, rather than wondering "where should I create this space?"
It is GOOD to have MORE spaces created by users, to create a NEW space whenever an inspiration strikes is the target behavior rather than going to old spaces and augmenting them unless that's specifically what your inspiration is about.
this is an overview
<--- look around this space to get more details on each of these
NEW USER! one-fell-swoop
The new Create Space gets folks who are just site visitors to Create New Account pretty smoothly, probably good for gaining more users faster...
yes, we'd smoothly create-a-new-account and create-a-new-space-for-them-with-this-name in one fell swoop :D also we ought to have some kind of "confirm your email address" type thing, get them to email us back and let us email them notifications for instance. Like "you got summoned!" emails that cause like notifications without us having to do much (you get a notification on your phone these days when you get a new email usually so therefore this becomes superb when 1) summoning, 2) email-notification-of-summons, and 3) mobile note creation are working B)
Create Space now includes more
The new Create Space also lets you invite others and log in or create new account.
This makes it much more viable for our home page because what if you're a new person and have never seen metanotes before?
Easy Zoom Tools.
Zooming in and out is no problem on a browser level with keyboard shortcuts...
However the spaces tend to always load too big on both my macbook and the desktop, is there to make these tools a slider hid by a magnifying glass icon so it's easy to click to zoom out or in?
Note Color Controls
Shouldn't we bring back "themes"?
That was a very nice and easy way to differentiate notes without having to think about hex codes, whether a background and foreground color would clash etc.
You should be able to tweak the hex, but the themes should be like hex-bookmarks...
Tangents can come later
I'm OK with tangents coming later because the metaspace and the create-space-homepage-idea is more important
Once this is up
I think we are ready to send folks to metanotes.com = e.g. "soft launch".
Instead of making homepage visitors read and get confused, let them create a space and get led right into creating a new account through that, then they get to see ZEN BLANKNESS with one note which is I think the "google experience".
If I type @b into a note, you should get a notification flag in your Time Log, and in your Time Log is a link to zoop to where you have been summoned, right?
Move Note to (space)
Would love to move a note to a different space, right?
Just for fun imagine if there were a dropdown menu with most recent spaces accessible from a Move option in the gear-contextual-menu that's on each note... That way if I create a note in the wrong space, I can move it to the right space. You can also do this with Cut and Paste but that would require a clipboard...
- Click your @username on the top right to enter MEATSPACE
- Maybe it's a dialog box that pops up, rather than its own space?
- Maybe a list, like our old metaspace?
- Possibly a HIERARCHICAL list so you can see what spaces are subspaces of which spaces?
- If hierarchical it would be keen to select a space, drag it onto another space, and then that space becomes a subspace of the dragged-onto space.
- Gives you an overview of all of your spaces
- Inside each record you should see the "goal note" content
- Click any record to go to that space
- How many notes are on this space? That'd be nice to see.
- When was the space created? etc
Sorting by DATE and by NAME and letting you do both in reverse-order is KEY in the METASPACE.
Why don't we use the English colorants instead of typing-in-the-hex or even instead of (or additionally to) a color picker?
Here is a prototype :D So this could just be a POPUP that opens when you click your @username for now.
That's another cute one I really like still, that a space gets a shortlink auto generated for it, which is good for texting and such... maybe a "get shortlink" menu option from Spaces and here in the metaspace dropdown?
PROFILE = METASPACE-as-Space
You can render each of the lines of the Metaspace as individual notes in the user's Profile, which is to be found at http://metanotes.com/user/username.
adjust to taste
for instance the "first note" column could be rendered as a tooltip onmouseover to make it less wide, etc
if a space has subspaces there ought to be an arrow to open up the hierarchy so you can flash right into any subspace, of course :D